Friday 27 April 2012

Kissy Kissy



I don't know how the rest of you are getting on with today's X word in today's A to Z Blogging Challenge, but I've been tearing my hair out trying to come up with a decent word.


Should I write about Xanthippe, the wife of Socrates, whose name meant "blonde horse" (charming!)? The lady whom Socrates chose for a wife, due to her feisty spirit?:


"It is the example of the rider who wishes to become an expert horseman: "None of your soft-mouthed, docile animals for me," he says; "the horse for me to own must show some spirit in the belief, no doubt, if he can manage such an animal, it will be easy enough to deal with every other horse besides. And that is just my case. I wish to deal with human beings, to associate with man in general; hence my choice of wife. I know full well, if I can tolerate her spirit, I can with ease attach myself to every human being else."


(Again... bloody charming!)






Or should I write about Xanthocyanopsy: a form of colour blindness where only yellow and blue can be distinguished (rumoured to include Vincent Van Gogh as one of its sufferers)?:






Perhaps I should write about the fact that I have a three-tier X system at the end of my text messages. My nearest and dearest get three X's, whilst those less close (though whom I still have a fondness for) get two X's. If you get one X, I'm probably just being polite. 


No kisses? Sorry pal: you're in the doghouse for something, and you'd better apologise immediately.


Seeing as it's Friday, I've decided not to waffle on about any of the above subjects. Instead, I shall inflict upon you all, a lovely piece of Xylophone music from 1940, arranged by Haskell W. Harr called Mexicali Rose. Enjoy!




P.S - I am offline for the next EIGHT hours to work on the WIP. I shall come visit your lovely selves once I've put in my writing shift! x














Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I have a similar X-system for test messages! :D

GOod luck with the WIP!

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Xanthocyanopsy: a form of colour blindness where only yellow and blue can be distinguished: Vincent's color blindness was certainly our gain!
http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com Theme: A World of Crime

Laura S. said...

Hello, Catherine! You covered a lot of terrific X things! That's kind of hilarious about Socrates and Xanthippe. Wishing you lots of luck with your wip! Happy writing!

Have a lovely weekend and happy A to Z!!

Catherine Noble said...

@Kyra Lennon: Haha I'm so glad I'm not the only one :D Thank you!

@Gail M Baugniet (Love the name!): Indeed, I remember recreating the Windy Night picture as a child: I appreciated it even back then!

@Laura Marcella: Thank you very much! :D It is quite funny, eh? I'm sure the bold Xanthippe would have taken the horsey comments in her stride haha! You have a lovely weekend too, Laura :)

michelle said...

The X-post has to be the most frustrating and interesting of them all... I'd love to see what other bloggers come up with.
Happy Writing!

Catherine Noble said...

@Michelle: I've really enjoyed reading everyone else's entries. I'm particularly amused at all the xenophobe entries!

Post a Comment