Friday 19 April 2013

Question


Happy Friday, everyone! Have you got anything wonderful planned for the weekend? Do tell all... :)

As you may already know, writers have an unwavering tendency to question everything. Everything! It helps paint better pictures for the reader, yes, but it's probably also because we're a bunch of nosy scoundrels!

Nevertheless, I believe it's important to question everything, therefore, my writing warm-up for today's A to Z Challenge is Q for Question.

When you capture a photo like this, how can you not ask questions?


1. You should know... to my knowledge, there is no golf course near the Clydeside. This begs the questions: Is this chap really going for a game of golf? Or are they weapons (not unheard of round these here parts...)? Is he selling them? Has he fallen on hard times? Are they stolen goods? Are they a gift to his newly reunited father? Take a few minutes to come up with questions and see if you get a story spark.


2. Sketch a mind-map using the key word as the nucleus, then branch out in whatever direction you please. You might find yourself going in completely unrelated paths (which I personally prefer). Do a five-minute freewrite incorporating as many (or few) branch words as you like. Here is my mind map (created using the SimpleMind app on my phone).


3. Choose one of the following sentence starts and freewrite for a few minutes, letting the words tumble out without a second thought:

  • 'Fifty quid, that's my best offer'...
  • He stuffed it into the golf bag and set off. Nobody would know it was there...
  • Maybe if he took up golf, he'd get out more. I worry about him...

I find it best not to read my freewrites for at least a few days. Why not stuff them in a drawer and surprise yourself? It's blatant evidence that our minds work in mysterious ways. Plus, I defy you not to find an array of story seeds amongst your work.

Do you have any writing warm-ups you'd like to share?

Take care,
Catherine x

Note: All photo prompts in the A to Z Challenge 2013 are my own. Feel free to use/copy/share to your hearts content. Help yourself. :)  

Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Lady's Knight said...

We talk about our ideas and write
often our poetry is our springboard
or photography

nice to meet you from A to Z

Post a Comment