Monday 15 April 2013

Memorial


Happy Monday to you all :)

Today's writing warm-up for my A to Z Challenge is M for Memorial.

Memorials always leaves me a bit choked... they just emanate tragedy:







1. Have a look at the memorials and see if any in particular stand out for you. Do you think of those who died? Or the people left behind? What impact has their deaths left in their worlds? Explore the aftermaths and strength needed to pull through these disasters. Or what about a haunted memorial? Do the fallen linger there, waiting to meet their weeping relatives?

2. Sketch a mind-map using the key word as the nucleus, then branch out in whatever direction you please. You might find yourself going in completely unrelated paths (which I personally prefer). Do a five-minute freewrite incorporating as many (or few) branch words as you like. Here is my mind map (created using the SimpleMind app on my phone):



3. Choose one of the following sentence starts and freewrite for a few minutes, letting the words tumble out without a second thought:

  • I can't face anyone. It's the same every year, on this day...
  • She said there had been a telegraph, but I fled the house. I couldn't; wouldn't hear of it...
  • If he hadn't died, I might not have found out about her...
  • The sheer number of people who'd come to pay their respects overwhelmed me. I had no idea...


I find it best not to read my freewrites for at least a few days. Why not stuff them in a drawer and surprise yourself? It's blatant evidence that our minds work in mysterious ways. Plus, I defy you not to find an array of story seeds amongst your work.

Do you have any writing warm-ups you'd like to share?

Take care,
Catherine x

Note: All photo prompts in the A to Z Challenge 2013 are my own. Feel free to use/copy/share to your hearts content. Help yourself. :)



Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post, Catherine. You are giving us such a useful resource for writing prompts. Thanks.

Catherine Noble said...

@mrkelly2u: Thank you :) I really hope others find my writing warm-ups as I do. I'll be sure to combine it all into an accessable document at the end.

Rosalind Adam said...

There's so much inspiration to be found in our local cemetery. Everyone's lives are an inspiration in some way.

Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

Unknown said...

I haven't visited too many memorials, but I do remember visiting our local ANZAC memorial, and being choked up. There's something about them.

Rinelle Grey

Jackie said...

Those photos gave me chills.
Great writing tips here, Catherine! Thanks!

Amanda Saint said...

I'm loving all your prompts for this year's challenge! I've also nominated you for a blog award on mine today :)

Kelley Lynn said...

Talk about getting emotional. Those pictures definitely did the trick.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That last image is the most powerful.

Maria said...

Hi Catherine, I'm going to have to come back and mine some of your story starters after the A to Z challenge is over...

Some good ones today. ;-)

Barbara White Daille said...

Beautiful photos, Catherine! All of your days stimulate great ideas, but this one's a real tearjerker at evoking emotion, too.

Will have to pop in again to catch up on the past couple of letters. (Computer issues. Grr...)

Thanks for sharing.

Barbara
Mountains and Middles
The Daille-y News

Catherine Noble said...

@Rosalind Adam: I agree, I feel the same whenever I come across an obituary.

@Rinelle Grey: There really is, Rinelle, it tugs at the heart strings :(

@Jackie: Thank you, I'm glad you like them!

@Amanda Saint: That's very kind of you, Amanda, thanks very much!

@Kelley Lynn: Oops hope I didn't upset you. I can't look at these memorials without a tear in my eye.

@Alex J. Cavanaugh: I took that photo in Victoria Park then edited it to death for dramatic effect. Photography purists would balk at it, but I like it :)

@Maria: You're most welcome to browse any time you're free, I'd be glad to have you :)

@Barbara White Daille: Thank you, Barbara, I'm glad the images stir up emotion for you :) pop over at your leisure, the A to Z prompts aren't going anywhere :)

Anne Mackle said...

These photos are so sad ,the dog one really touched me.

Post a Comment