Today's topic is something I hold dear to my heart, I even made it my J topic for last year's A to Z!
My A to Z Challenge writing warm-up today is J for Journal.
1. You've moved into a new home and find a bunch of old journals up in the loft. What kind of person lived there before you? Have they any juicy secrets? How come they didn't take the journals with them... did they have to flee in a rush? Or were they bludgeoned to death?
2. Sketch a mind-map using the key word as the nucleus, then branch out in whatever direction you please. You might find yourself going in completely unrelated paths (which I personally prefer). Do a five-minute freewrite incorporating as many (or few) branch words as you like. Here is my mind map (created using the SimpleMind app on my phone).
3. Choose one of the following sentence starts and freewrite for a few minutes, letting the words tumble out without a second thought:
- I know I shouldn't look, but...
- I had to hide it from him, he couldn't know the truth about her...
- Dear diary, today I'm going to end it all...
I find it best not to read my freewrites for at least a few days. Why not stuff them in a drawer and surprise yourself? It's blatant evidence that our minds work in mysterious ways. Plus, I defy you not to find an array of story seeds amongst your work.
Do you have any writing warm-ups you'd like to share?
Note: All photo prompts in the A to Z Challenge 2013 are my own. Feel free to use/copy/share to your hearts content. Help yourself. :)